Summary: This message provides an update on campus health and safety protocols for the month of July, effective July 6.
- Fully vaccinated community members who have submitted vaccination documentation to the university are not required to mask, physically distance, or complete certain health checks or testing, with some exceptions.
Community members who have not been vaccinated or have not submitted vaccination documentation to the university must continue to follow all applicable safety measures.
Dear Members of the Yale Community,
Due to your efforts, we have had very few cases of COVID-19 on campus over the past several weeks. Based on the favorable conditions in our local environment and the increasing number of Yale community members who have been vaccinated and submitted documentation of vaccination to the university, we are modifying our COVID-19 restrictions for those on campus in July. The following policy changes take effect July 6.
Fully vaccinated students, faculty, staff, and postdoctoral/postgraduate trainees who have submitted their vaccination documentation to the university:
- Are not required to complete the Daily Health Check or engage in routine, asymptomatic COVID-19 testing.
- In accordance with CDC guidelines, will no longer be required to wear a mask or keep a 6-foot distance from others when indoors or outdoors while on-campus with the following exceptions:
- All individuals are required to mask when using public or university transportation, including university shuttles.
- Connecticut requires all individuals to mask in certain other settings, including health care facilities.
- There may be occasional situations, such as large assemblies, where universal masking is explicitly required.
- While not required, we support anyone who is fully vaccinated and would be more comfortable wearing a mask to do so. This public health measure may provide additional reassurance to individuals who feel they may be at greater risk, and also protects against other respiratory illnesses.
Students, faculty, staff, and postdoctoral/postgraduate trainees who have not been vaccinated or who have not submitted vaccination documentation to the university:
- Must complete the Daily Health Check.
- Must self-schedule and complete a weekly asymptomatic COVID-19 test through the Yale COVID-19 Screening Program.
- In accordance with CDC guidelines, are required to wear an appropriate mask when indoors in campus facilities except when alone in a segregated space, such as when working in a private office or seated in a partitioned cubicle and at least 6 feet from other individuals, and outdoors on-campus when 6-foot distancing cannot be maintained.
- Are required to mask in the settings described above in which all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, are required to wear masks.
Students, faculty, staff, and postdoctoral/postgraduate trainees, regardless of their vaccination status, must continue to follow all other health and safety measures. Students, faculty, staff, and trainees may check on their vaccination status in the university’s records.
Please remember that beginning August 1, 2021, all students, faculty, staff, and postdoctoral/postgraduate trainees are required to be fully vaccinated and documented in the university’s records or have an approved exemption. Information about how to make a vaccination appointment, submit or confirm vaccination documentation, and access exemption forms is included in the COVID-19 Coordinator’s message of June 25, 2021.
Later this month, we will provide guidance for August and the fall. We will also continue to monitor progress toward vaccination of the community and the rates of infection in our area and adjust the university guidelines accordingly. If you have additional questions in the interim, please visit the Yale COVID-19 Vaccine Program web page or call the Campus Covid Resource Line for assistance at 203-432-6604.
Thank you for all your contributions to the health and safety of our campus community.
We wish you a joyous, safe, and restful Fourth of July holiday.
Scott Strobel, Provost
Jack Callahan, Jr., Senior Vice President for Operations