What are the options at Yale for filing a complaint?

Over the past few years, Yale has closely examined the options it offers for individuals to bring forward complaints of sexual misconduct of all kinds and has worked to  streamline and clarify these options.

In early 2011, Yale consolidated a variety of disciplinary committees into one University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct, making a clearer path for anyone considering a formal complaint. At the request of the complainant, the UWC can also address complaints through an informal resolution process.

The University Title IX Coordinator and Deputy Title IX Coordinators, assigned to each school and Yale College, can also resolve complaints and assist with informal remedies. The Title IX Coordinators do not conduct formal hearings but may investigate complaints and work with the complainant and the respondent to achieve a resolution of the complaint.

The Yale Police Department operates 24/7 and is available to all students by phone and walk-in for confidential consultations regarding possible criminal investigation. The YPD can provide information on available victims’ assistance services and can assist with safety planning. With few exceptions, the decision about whether or not to press charges is up to the complainant.

The UWC, Title IX Coordinators, and YPD work hard to streamline and coordinate complaint processes. If a student chooses one of these venues, it generally does not preclude accessing another venue.  The Sexual Harassment and Assault Response & Education Center (SHARE) is available to counsel students about these options for filing a complaint and will support them through the complaint process.

A full description of each of these resources is available at the Sexual Misconduct Response website.